Quietus – iOS released!

It’s made its way through the labyrinthine maze that is the Apple review service, and it is now playable on the App Store!  It is ready to go for iPhone (3gs+), iPod Touch (3rd gen+), and iPad, and it costs a whopping $0.99; help the cause, give me money to feed my Wendy’s addiction!

Reviews:
IndieGames Blog
Appolicious
iFanzine
Games Radar

Below are links to some reviews of Quietus when it was released for PC:
JayIsGames
IndieGames Blog
DIYGamer
Kotaku AU
Bytejacker (voted the winner in the Free Indie Rapidfire)
AV Club
E4
Canard PC
Game Polisher Radio
FlashPunk

Just to let you all know, I will be doing quite a bit of development for iOS in the future. My next several games should be fully playable on iOS devices, and the controls schemes will be tailored for one-touch play. I hope you enjoy Quietus for the App Store as much as it was loved for PC, and I hope it keeps you coming back for Quietus II when it hits for computer and mobile platforms!

iTunes Store

Posted in Uncategorized · 19 Comments

Responses

1. Broxter says:

How come of all of a sudden people are able to get games made with FlashPunk into an app. I saw someone mentioned developing for iDevices on the forum, too… iOS development intrigues me greatly.

• Connor says:

Well the Adobe AIR 2.6 SDK was released just a couple of weeks ago, and it adds pretty well full support for iOS devices. Before that, though, there was just about nothing functional to go on, but now it’s really easy; you basically just run your program as an AIR project, package it as a .ipa file after you buy the Apple Developer tools, then submit to the app store.

• Broxter says:

That’s pretty sweet. Must be more complicated than it sounds.

• Connor says:

It takes a bit of working around the edges with tutorials on the internet, but I’m sure you could get something working on it iDevices in a couple of days. You have to pay the $99 for the kit, but other than that you can do everything on a Windows computer (except for the actual upload… I asked Vieko, a friend online, to put it up for me)

• Zack says:

Since I’ve been experimenting with Xcode and have had some problems, this route looks much easier. What you’re saying is I can write a game in FlashPunk, add the needed scripts and package in AIR and produce the needed files? Sounds simple(r).

I’ll be sure to look into it.

Good luck with the sales!

• Connor says:

Yeah; I literally copy-pasted my Quietus code into an AIR project, swapped controls out to make it work using the mouse, and the rest was simply getting it to work with iTunes. And thank you!

2. Just wondering, how are the virtual keys placed on screen? I mean – flash version was already certainly hard. Wouldnt touchscreen controls make the game completable only by truly hardcore gamers?

• Connor says:

Instead of actual keys, you press to put up a virtual joystick, and you drag in the direction you want to go. I eased up some of the levels, but it will still be pretty darn difficult, as it should be :)

3. Did you used Adobe Flash CS5 (with the Adobe AIR 2.6 SDK) to make this game?

• Connor says:

I actually used FlashDevelop instead of Adobe Flash CS5; I don’t have the money for it, so I had to use a free alternative.

• Cool! I wish I would learn on programming games for iOS… It’s very awesome! :)

• Connor says:

If you need any help making flash run on iOS, I’d be happy to try and help you out. I’ve got a batch file or two that I could send you that would save you many a google search.

4. [...] released as a browser game nearly a year ago, Quietus has now made its way onto iPhone. Remember how tough it was? This version is even more difficult, mainly due to the odd touch-screen [...]

5. [...] released as a browser game nearly a year ago, Quietus has now made its way onto iPhone. Remember how tough it was? This version is even more difficult, mainly due to the odd touch-screen [...]

6. Amidos2006 says:

Hey Congratulation for the publishing of Quietus on iphone :)
    But I have a question as I am going to develop something for the iPhone so I want links for the apple developer tools and some help tutorials :) it will be nice :)

7. Searching for this for some time now – i guess luck is more advanced than search engines

8. Erik J says:

Just saw the news after getting the link-back (DIYGamer), thanks for that and congrats on the iOS release!

9. [...] Originally released as a browser game nearly a year ago, Quietus has now made its way onto iPhone. Remember how tough it was? This version is even more difficult, mainly due to the odd touch-screen [...]